Position: Licensed Practical Nurse #1258
Deadline: February 13, 2024
Posted: February 7, 2024
Job Description / Duties
NOTICE: JOB POSTING #1258
POSITION: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) 1 Part Time – Al Mitchell Place & Powell Street Getaway, Vancouver
HOURS AND DAYS OF WORK:
· Saturday and Sunday (Al Mitchell Place), Thursday and Friday (Powell Street Getaway)
· Shift times will be 09:00 – 17:00 Hours
· Shifts are 8 hours in length
· Days of rest shall be consecutive. Schedule may change with two weeks’ notice
LPN carries out a variety of duties supporting Lookout’s Harm Reduction Program under the direction of the Health Programs Manager, including oversight of harm reduction supplies throughout the Society, orienting and supporting staff to carry out their duties within the harm reduction framework. The people we serve may have a variety of challenging and often overlapping problems including serious mental illness, substance abuse (including IV drug use), hygiene issues, treatment (medical, psychiatric and rehab), and increasingly HIV+/Aids. The position carries out duties related to the operation of the needle distribution including intake and orienting guests, providing support that meets the needs of clients, education on harm reduction methods and distribution of harm reduction supplies. The LPN deals with the public, other service agencies and professionals involved in the support of the clients.
JOB DUTIES (In Brief):
· Work as a collaborative team, with Management, Coordinators and external agencies to provide harm reduction supplies, support and the information necessary to help participants access and use this facility
· Observe clients who are consuming drugs, assessing for and managing signs of overdose, and when necessary, administering drugs to counter an overdose, according to established protocols
· Provide crisis intervention and/or extraordinary services where appropriate.
· Provide education and guidance on safe injection practices, assess clients’ other health/socioeconomic needs and provide support and direction to services as appropriate.
Qualifications / Required Skills
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCE:
· Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses
· Two (2) years recent experience working as a full scope LPN
· Current full practicing licensure with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC (CLPNBC)
· Demonstrated knowledge of the harm reduction model, Mental Health System and related agencies and Addiction Support organizations.
· Must have current OFA 1 First Aid Certificate and negative TB Test
· Must have two doses of COVID-19 Vaccine
· Naloxone Training an asset
· Crisis Intervention Skills Training an asset
· Demonstrated ability in dealing with a variety of situations and responsibilities requiring initiative, creativity and professional judgment.
· Knowledge and practice within the standards dictated by the CLPNBC
· Ability to deal with clients with mental health and substance abuse issues
· Broad knowledge of harm reduction approach to client care
· Demonstrated ability to apply decision making and analytical skills
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with conflict situations
· Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize work
· Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position
· Knowledge and experience with basic computer programs (Word, Microsoft Outlook)
· Criminal Record Clearance – vulnerable sector
Lookout Housing and Health Society is committed to empowering people from different races, gender, age, religion, identities and unique experiences. We welcome everyone from diverse backgrounds and encourage them to apply in order to foster an inclusive environment.
Salary: $29.87 (as per the Collective Agreement)
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume, and quote Job Posting # in subject line to: Jaeson.Goodchild@lookoutsociety.ca and Nadine.Horwood@lookoutsociety.ca
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted until February 13, 2024 at 5:00pm
“All employees, including laid off and displaced employees, are entitled to apply on the vacancy and be considered pursuant to the provisions of Article 12.9.” Internal applicants must notify manager of intent to apply. External applicants will be reviewed after Internal.
ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WELCOME TO APPLY. THOSE SHORT-LISTED WILL BE CONTACTED.
c. BCGEU, Shop Steward
Lookout Housing and Health Society is a charitable organization and social safety net that provides housing and a range of support services to adults with low or no income, who have few, if any, housing or support options. As the people we serve have challenges meeting basic needs and goals, we place minimal barriers between them and our services. We believe that helping people help themselves is essential in addressing homelessness and all the issues that surround it. Securing appropriate housing is the first and most essential step in achieving responsible and independent individuals. For more information about Lookout, please visit www.lookoutsociety.ca