HSABC Webinar: Psychological Coping for Frontline Staff
June 9, 2021, 10:00 - 11:30 AM
Discussion topics include:
- COVID-19 and impact on our mental health - especially as shelter workers (the normalizing part and knowing what to expect re: stigma during pandemics, why this situation causes so much anxiety due to uncertainty & lack of power/control, challenges unique to helping professions like being away from your own family/not being able to care for them, worrying about your own health, frustrations with others not following hygiene or social distancing protocols).
- Tips for front line workers on how to cope (e.g. understanding uncertainty, what is/isn't in your control, perceived vs actual risk, radical acceptance where possible, focusing on values, etc).
- Tips for managers on supporting staff (e.g. communication, increasing their sense of control, space for debriefing/processing events, understanding people cope differently, etc) -Tips specific for people who already have anxiety/trauma/other mental health challenges.
Instructor: Dr Heather Fulton
Dr. Heather Fulton is a Registered Psychologist currently working as a supervisor of Psychiatry Resident Psychotherapy Training at Royal Columbian Hospital. She previously worked at the Burnaby Centre for Mental Health and Addiction as well as maintains a private practice. She has been studying, researching and working in the area of concurrent disorders, particularly with vulnerably housed individuals, for over 15 years. She is also a past volunteer of the Calgary Drop-in and Rehab Centre- a large facility in downtown Calgary that offers various levels of housing support, meals, essential health services as well as employment training.
How to Register for Training Courses:
If your organization is a member of HSABC
- login with your login credentials
- if you do not have your own account/login, please click the Member rate and follow prompts for setting up an account.
If your organization is not a member of HSABC, please select the Non-member rate and create a guest account.
Why do I need an account?
You will be able to log into the private area and view your training courses and certificates.